sunnuntai 14. lokakuuta 2012

The devil you know...

Most people reading this will probably have heard the idiom in one form or another. Usually, in it's full form, it reads "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't." I've had a few discussions about how that could be interpreted, and have come to agree that it is rather open-ended when it comes to what this little string of words might mean.

In the modern world, the means of self exploration is usually psychology. Personally, however, I prefer a more philosophical approach. The forays that are made possible by mind games and personal monologue are, to me, more worthy than lengthy analysis into reflections of thoughts and actions. (Oh, and for those of you that actually know something about psychology, I know it's nothing like that, but I prefer the utterly personal touch of philosophy which I feel is missing from modern psychology - which is still better than anything Freud ever came up with.)

How do these two things link to each other, then? Well, each memory fort I build, thought exercise I undertake and each private monologue I have when cooking tells me more about me. It might not be important, it might not even be relevant, but every time I point the mirror at me, there is no other option but to atleast look at myself. And if I look, I have only two options: see, or avert my eyes.

This is the connection between the idiom and my point today. If I refuse to look upon myself, to reflect on my actions, thoughts and the ways I interfere with the world, I refuse to see what I am or am about to become. I become a stranger to myself. But if I look at what I have done and accept it - not accept as such, but accept that it has happened, it is there - I become the devil I know. And if I know me, I can control what I become. For every response I give, I can give a reason, or atleast a reason for why I don't have one. By reflecting, by looking oneself full in the eye, I can chain the beast and give it direction.

Here's a picture with no relation. This summer there were some really cool storms. I was nowhere near the hearth of any of them, but I was close enough to feel like daring the weather. Extremes are kind of awesome, from time to time.

 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti