sunnuntai 12. elokuuta 2012

Spiritual Quest, Step 3

Batman Forever. Well...

It's clearly meant to be humorous, a sort of a slapstick comedy. It actually is, from time to time. But seriously, Mr. Schumacher, what's up with the neon lights? There's neon everywhere, I was surprised the Batsuit wasn't lit from underneath by an unearthly glow. Everything else sure was. With some of the Burton goth imagery still there, it's a bit of a clash, to say the least.

This movie has not aged as well as one might think. The aesthetics are a bit too glaringly 90's. (Did I mention the neon lights? Guess what, it's not just lights, it's colours too.)

The Nicole Kidman love interest is... interesting. I've never seen anyone with that deep-running rubber fetish and superspeed sex drive. Out of the love interests so far, she is the best, mostly because she plays the part pretty well, if you discount what I just said. Overall, the human interaction is better in this one.

Okay, I made a bit of a fuss about the two earlier movies not making sense: this one isn't that much better. We're thrown straight into the action with Two-Face (by the by, I enjoyed him being the old, dualistically obsessed comic book version). Last time we saw Harvey Dent was in the first movie, played by Lando Calrissian (Billy Dee Williams, who took the role in the first movie specifically to get to play Two-Face). And now it's Two-Face, played by Tommy Lee Jones. Confused? So am I. But inside the movie, this one makes the most sense out of the bunch. It still doesn't explain much anything, but there's an actual, followable plot, character development (!) and overall, you're not going "WTF" half the time. It's still not too good, though.



Word's can't really do justice to what the movie actually is, not as a whole, so I took some pictures. Oh. My. God.

I think I mentioned neon lights. I can kind of get the wall tags, but the batons?
This is one of the less horrible Riddler outfits in the movie. Less. Horrible.
This is Batman's rape face. Beware.

Overall, Batman Forever is thus far the movie I've enjoyed the most out of the lot. It's a comedy, it knows it, and it actually made me laugh a few times. This doesn't make it a good movie, note, but it is a sort of camp laugh-it-out. It's not very sensible, the Two-Face/Riddler pair is pretty stupid (although at times well acted, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones are both skilled actors) and the visual... *ahem*... "aesthetics" are, to say the least, outdated. Words won't do it justice, one way or the other.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti